SC - Pickin' Poke

upsxdls_osu at ionet.net upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Tue Mar 27 07:14:35 PST 2001

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:59:25 -0500 (EST) you wrote:

> You can come over to my house and pick the pokeweed any time-- at least until
I get sick
> of trying to kill it off by hauking it up and give in to non-organic controls.

Where do you live?  Probably not close enough to make it worthwhile.  I usually
run up to Grandma's farm and tramp the fencelines and check the woodpiles. I
usually drown a worm or two at the same time.

The only way I've seen poke killed is by kindness.  Cultivate around the plant
and give it lots of fertilizer.  Make sure you trim it often and pull or cut the
seed pods off before they ripen.  It's my understanding the seeds have to be
through a bird's digestive tract before they will germinate, so you have an idea
of how poke is spread. (grin)

One season I had a lot of leafy greens growing in my garden, Swiss Chard,
Spinach, Beet and Turnip greens, and mustard.  I mixed garden greens with wild
greens, added bacon, onion, garlic and vinegar.  It was wonderful, and I really
don't like cooked greens.

Liadan