SC - Bidding for Feast

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 27 10:05:36 PST 2001

>My question here is would one tenderloin per 8 person
>table be too much?

My answer: Yes.

>I was going on the cooked size of the tenderloin and
>figuring a 1 to 1 1/2 inch slice per person.  Tenderloin is expensive, and
>I'd have to use less expensive ingredients for other courses.

I'm picturing those vacuem packed tendorloins of a standard size and
assuming it's not your only meat.   My experience says all of it is too much
per table, half to 3/4 of it will suffice.  Slice in the kitchen so you can
control the portion sizes.  Cut about 1/2 inch thick, and serve a dozen on a
platter for a table of eight--that allows for the big eaters to go ahead and
get a bit extra, and those with more delicate appetites won't have leftovers
crowding their plate.  Put the sauce over the meat, or in a little bowl on
the side with a small spoon for serving.  garnish with some vegetable dish
around the meat--reduces the number of serving dishes needed and makes the
platter look more generously full. keep some of the vegetable aside to serve
vegetarians or possible allergic guests from.

Sending out an entire pork loin per table will result in a chunk coming back
from each and every table.  the leftover vultures are very happy when the
cook sends out large hunks of meat and whole birds. Always cut in the
kitchen if possible and send out.  Better to have them asking for more if
desired after the platter is emptied.

Bonne