SC - Bidding for Feast - Winner's comments

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 27 14:03:02 PST 2001

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> >I'm doing experiments in edible egg decor after an inspirational pysanky
> >class.  Ukranian pysanky egg dyes are not safe to eat, but did the process
> >work with non-toxic dyes?  I've been painting designs on eggs in wax,
> >soaking them in black tea, then removing the wax from the outsides, holding
> >it up next to a candle and wiping off the melted wax, leaving white designs
> >on the shells.  So labor-intensive, so impressive.  If there's anybody you
> >need to impress, go for it!
> >
> >Yours in Service,
> >Selene
>
> What a great idea.  I'm just wowed now.  I can't wait to go home and try
> this.  Our Baronial colours are Black and White (and Gold laurel)~and yes! I
> do have black food colour!!  I'm SO excited!  Hope this works.  Our Baronial
> Investiture is coming up.
> Olwen

Well, I didn't go for modern food coloring because [1] it's modern, and [2] it
makes your mouth turn interesting colors.  Black tea and coffee are not the best
choices for period, but they are good and brown.  One comedy egg I considered
was to write "HELP" backwards, looking like a normal brown egg with a distressed
chickie inside...  I am thinking about trying jamaica flower next, but that's
still not pre-1600, as we seem to have agreed a while back.  Onion skins are
good.  I think I have a little red sandalwood around here, probably not enough
but it's worth a try.

Happy Eggs!

Selene