SC - Pottage called Peach-Dish

Tue Mar 27 14:16:53 PST 2001

I hope I didn't turn any one off their vitamins, I was merely trying to
point out that cyanic compounds are present in our normal diet.

IIRC, the cyanocobalamine version of B12 contains a cyanogen group bonded to
a cobalt molecule which is converted to methylcobalamine in the body and
frees the CN radicals in B12 to form cyanide and thiocyanate (B12 is not the
only source).  Cyanide and thiocyanate are measurably present in human blood
and urine, so minute amounts of cyanogens don't constitute much of a threat.

I wonder if the reason B12 is touted as a bug repellent is because of the
thiocyanate (one of the ingredients in insecticides)?

Bear