SC - Pottage called Peach-Dish

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Mar 27 21:58:59 PST 2001

Ealasaid said:
> One might wish to be careful with the serving of peach pits even as
> a jest as the inner seed (also known as bitter almonds) is a source
> of Arsenic. A couple of bitter almonds will not hurt most people, more
> than that will kill you.  How many more I am not sure.

This gave me pause, too. However it soon occurred to me that the poster
was not speaking of real peach pits but of the peach pit sotelites that
were discussed here on this list. I had one (or more) at the SCA-Cooks
pot luck at this last Pennsic and they were quite good.

I think the recipe and comments can be found in the Florilegium. Probably
one of these files. In the FOOD section:
illusion-fds-msg  (86K)  1/18/01    Medieval illusion foods. Diguised food.

Or maybe in the FOOD-SWEETS section:
sotelties-msg    (199K) 11/ 1/00    Sotelties and Warners - decorated food.

I have added an editorial comment to the recent message, so that when
it gets put in the Florilegium this will be clear to them as well.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net