SC - pickled fish with sour cream

Wed Mar 28 07:12:48 PST 2001

> sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> <<< There is presumably evidence that fish were pickled in
> this manner in period (I haven't personally found and
> examined the references), but there are no recipes. >>>>>
>
> Neapolitan Cuisine has a recipe for fish marinated in
> vinegar.  We did it last year here in Atlanta for a Crown
> List feast, but as a side tasting dish.  went quite well, and
> received much interest, to our surprise.  I may try it again
> in some role or another at a feast.  I'm not a spoon tease
> because I don't have the recipe we used, though I'll be
> willing to type in the text from Scully tonight.
>
> niccolo difrancesco

Hmmm, sounds like I need a copy of the Neapolitan Cuisine.  To bad it wasn't
available 20 odd years ago when Baron Bjorn and I were preparing pickled
fish based on his research and a lot of guess work.  I've become more
absolutist toward historical accuracy since then.

I would point out that we were not simply marinating the fish, but were
actually storing for extended periods it in a pickling solution (and under
refrigeration, just in case) to emulate a method of food preservation.

In any event, the recipe would be welcome.

Bear