SC - CANDYING FRUITS AND VEGETABLES

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Mar 28 23:00:35 PST 2001

Phillipa said:
> If anybody is interested, here are candying instructions.  They are pretty
> straight forward.
>
> CANDYING FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
>
> Candying fruits and vegetables is the relatively simple and quick process of
> sugar-coating fruits, flowers, and vegetables. In order to candy ingredients
> a freshly made thick simple syrup must be on hand. Some ingredients that can
> be candied by this method are kumquats, citrus peels, cherries, pineapple,
> and dried fruits.

<snip>

Thanks, Phillipa. However this is the modern method for sugaring such
items. The period methods appear to vary in several ways. The modern
method is probably much easier. One of the primary differances being
that the item is dipped in the sugar solution over and over, many times
and allowed to dry between dippings rather than just once. I think there
were also some other differances.

For those interested, this file in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the
Florilegium does have some period recipes and more details than my
feeble mind can currently remember:
candy-msg        (243K)  1/11/01    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net