SC - Wontons

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Thu Mar 29 22:45:26 PST 2001

Can some one help me with the following recipe from Yun Lintang Yinshi Zhidu Ji
(Cloud Forest Hall Collection of Rules for Drinking and Eating) by Ni Tsan.

Wonton in Broth
- ---------------
Chop the meat finely. Add riced bamboo shoots  or wild-rice shoots, chives, or
Basella rubra tips. Use Szechuan pepper and a bit of apricot kernel paste.
Wrap. The skins should start out thick and small when cut out. Then flour them
and roll them out. (When stuffed) put into fully boiling water. Stir; do not
cover. When they float up, take them out, stirring no longer. Do not use
Chinese cardamom in the filling, except to warm the ch'i.

Anyone have an idea on what proportions I should use for the dough.

I was going to make an Egg pastry with:

500g Strong Flour
2 Whole Eggs
5 Egg Yolks
Pinch of salt

Would that work?

Also, how do you fold a wonton properly.  I've seen it done, but I wasn't
paying attention at the time.

Cheers,

Drake.