SC - baklava

tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de
Sat Mar 31 19:26:15 PST 2001

Here are two small observations; I am sure others will come up with
other and earlier references:

- -- Hedda Reindl-Kiel in an article about turkish cuisine in the "Archiv
für Kulturgeschichte" (77/1995) says that baklava is mentioned in the
account-books of a diplomatic banquet in 1650 (p. 70 note 45).

- -- Rodinson in his article "Recherches sur les documents arabes ..."
mentions an arabic dish called "Kul wa-skur" from the 'Wusla' (13th
century) which seems to have been similar to baklava (p. 140, note 7):
"Le _Kul wa-skur_ est encore connu au Liban et a Damas. Mlle Victoria
Huzami me le definit comme une sorte de baqlawa compose de deux couches
de pate entre lesquelles on met du sucre, des amandes, etc." (all
accents left out).

Th.