SC - Lenten fasting...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 2 04:48:52 PST 2001

Jenne Heise wrote:

> > Yep. The restrictions for fasting are in regard to eating, or, rather,
> > not eating. Doesn't say nuthin' 'bout drinking, especially when some
> > ales and beers were specifically mashed for their dextrins rather than
> > for fermentables. In short, there's a distinct possibility these people
> > weren't so much drinking an alcoholic beverage as drinking "liquid bread".
>
> In some cases I think they may have been drinking 'small beer' also, at
> least when fasting, which would have been very low in alcohol. (Small beer
> is only fermented for a few days.)

In some cases, I'm sure they were, but I don't think there's any real
reason (unless you can name one) to assume this was a regular fasting
thing. In fact, I seem to recall reading that bock beers (generally
double or triple gravity, although not necessarily very high in alcohol)
as well as March beers, are intended specifically for Lenten use.

My point about heavier beers has more to do with infusion mashing
(apparently older than the decoction method) and the resultant heavy
alpha conversion, which creates a relatively dextrin-rich, low-alcohol
brew, as compared to lower-temperature mashes with higher beta
conversions, which produces a thinner, but higher-proof, beer.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com