SC - Re: Lenten feasts

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 2 21:30:42 PST 2001

I think the main problem with doing Lenten feasts in the SCA has to do more
with the eating habits of the participants, particularly the ones holding
the purse strings, rather than religious objections.  Advertise a feast of
beans, greens, fish, and so forth, and the fear is that no one will buy it.
The food gets wasted, and the officiating group loses money.  Though we are
recreating the Middle Ages, we still have modern appetites, and the majority
of us don't keep this sort of fast.

Personally, I've had trouble getting fish dishes onto menus.  It's hard to
get cheap fish in Calontir, and the stuff you can get cheaply is usually not
of the best quality.  The higher-ups would rather have another meat or
vegetable dish, rather than a fish one.  The same thing happens with organ
meats.  Last weekend, they served Garbage as part of a first course.
Chicken gizzards and livers in broth.  Most of it got pitched, not because
it was badly made, but because most people don't like eating organ meats.

Ultimately, ya gotta give the people what they want...

Vicente