SC - OT: Is a propane stove safe indoors?

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 4 15:29:05 PST 2001

And it came to pass on 4 Mar 01, , that Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> The propane stove is probably ok for the short bursts used for cooking.
> Just don't attempt to heat the room with it.

That's the consensus I've been getting.  *If* the heat goes out, we
have a fireplace for warmth, but it's not the kind that can easily be
cooked in.  If I use the Coleman stove, it will be for heating soup, or
canned beans, or that sort of thing.

> And never never never use a
> charcoal grill/brazier indoors. James (who is a part-time fireguy with
> the Jackson Co. No 5) says that fire- coals, flame, whatever- uses up
> the same mix of oxygen, but at a much faster rate that people do. You'll
> go out before the fire does!

I was aware of that, but thanks for the reminder.

> Good luck- stay warm!

I hope that the precautions I've taken will be completely
unnecessary.  The last big snow only knocked out our power for a
few 5-minute bursts, but my aunt, in a nearby town, was without
light or heat overnight.

Brighid, prepared for the worst and hoping for the best

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
now at a new address: rcmann4 at earthlink.net