Inter-Library Loan ( wasRe: Fwd: RE: SC - Portuguese Cookbook)

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Thu Mar 8 06:14:47 PST 2001

> OCLC = Ohio College Library Computer system [IIRC]
> RLIN = Research Library Information Network
> And, no, individuals don't have access to either of
> these.  They are inter-library computer systems, which
> help libraries identify names, titles, & editions and
> saves time and money with cataloging them.  My library
> pays approximately $80,000 per year on our RLIN use.

However, OCLC markets an 'end-user' system to libraries, called Worldcat,
which contains the OCLC holdings database but is searched like any other
index database. A very handy tool if you or some sympathetic librarian can
get access to it. (Many academic libraries buy access to Worldcat via a
subscription, which makes it economical for them to do marginal searching
which is impractical in the per-search charging model of the OCLC database
itself.)
(Tell me if that didn't make sense and I or someone else can translate.)

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Are you finished? If you're finished, you have to put down the spoon."