SC - Re: SC mashing favas (food mill styles)

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Mar 15 17:55:54 PST 2001

In a message dated 3/15/01 3:41:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
olwentheodd at hotmail.com writes:

<< I'm confused.  If all you folks can't figure out how to make non-lumpy
beans
 with all these modern appliances, then don't you think that mashing them
 with a potato masher type thing that they probably did back when left the
 things lumpy anyway??
 Olwen >>

Well., said. :-) Following this post I was confused that the original sender
was concerned with  the beans being 'grainy' after mashing. I don't think the
poster  was saying they were lumpy so much as not smooth on the tongue.

In the meantime, I have mashed favas, mature yard long beans and black eyed
peas (all Vigna varieties). I also mashed kidney beans, canelli beans and
great nothern beans (all Phaseolus varieties). The results were that the
Vigna species, without exception tended toward graininess whlie the Phaseolus
varieties temnded toward smoothness. I think that the objection to graininess
is a result of the poster being more familiar with the characteristics of
cooked Phaseolus varieties instead of the Old World Vigna varieties.
Graininess after mashing seems to be an inherent character of the former
beans while New World beans tend toward a smoother product when mashed.

Ras