SC - Ancient weights and measures

margali margali at 99main.com
Wed Mar 21 07:20:18 PST 2001

Well, I found the following sites online:
 http://classics.holycross.edu/Courses/IT_in_Classics/F97/exercises/04.Spreadsheets.html

this one deals with making the conversion between Babylonian and Euboen.
Not particularly useful, but fascinating ;-)

 http://www.mustardseed.net/html/tweightmeasure.html
this one is biblical, hebrew and Greco-Roman.

 http://www.worldtradepress.com/dictionary/weights.html
This one is modern, call it post 1800 or so, British and American both
metric and non-metric.

 http://www.ut.ee/REAM/weights.htm
sort of a generalist overview, written more for kids.

 http://www.brocktonmass.com/weights/history.html
The US dept. of weights and measures website.

 http://melbecon.unimelb.edu.au/het/petty/taxes.txt
A Treatise of Taxes & Contributions, shewing the Nature and
Measures of Crown Lands, Assessments, Customs, Poll-Money,
Lotteries, Benevolence, Penalties, Monopolies, Offices, Tythes,
Raising of Coins, Harth-Money, Excize, etc. With several
intersperst Discourses and Digressions concerning Warres, The
Church, Universities, Rents & Purchases, Usury & Exchange, Banks
& Lombards, Registries for Conveyances, Beggars, Ensurance,
Exportation of Money & Wool, Free-ports, Coins, Housing, Liberty
of Conscience, etc.

The Same being frequently applied to the present State and
Affairs of Ireland.

London, Printed for N. Brooke, at the Angel in Cornhill, 1662.

by William Petty

1662

What more can I say, not exactly what we were looking for, but still
rather interesting, and almost in period ;-)

 http://www.cyndislist.com/weights.htm
Wow, it is a geneologists website, but has a lot of info on measures of
various cultures.

 http://www.comptons.com/encyclopedia/TABLES/150995301_T.html
A minor bingo! It does have Somme odd stuff, minor amounts of japanese,
russian, chinese, spanish and mexican!

margali
and it even has how much lard is 1 lb!
Food Content - I found a chinese fast food place in Kittery maine that
still fries in lard ;-)
- --

MarilynTraber at FictionForest.com
HTTP://WWW.FictionForest.com