SC - Question about higer elevation/answer

KallipygosRed at aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Wed Mar 21 13:59:55 PST 2001

- --part1_38.13aeb898.27ea7e5b_boundary

In a message dated 3/21/01 12:56:54 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
jpollard at columbus.edu.co writes:

> Hope someone out there can help me.  I am living in South America at an
> elevation of 1500m.  I am having a great deal of trouble with my North
> American recepies.  They don't seem to work.  The taste is off.  muffins,
> pies everything.  Also, things don't rise like they should.  Does anyone
> know whether I should use more or less baking soda or is the problem
> something else?
> Thanks
> janice

I know that when I lived in Iran, we were at 3000 elevation, and had to use
changes for muffins, etc. My Doubleday Standards of Cooking Cookbook, which I
used at the time, states:

General Rules-
Whenever possible use receipes specifically geared for higher altitude. When
in doubt, pre make and make written adjustments beside the receipe in a
cookbook. Contact colleges and extension argicultural studies programs in
area if in doubt.

Specific Rules-
When boiling at higher altitude cut the cooking time by making pieces
smaller. Water boiles slower at high altitude. Keep the pot covered and add
water frequently to keep from boiling dry...which it will tend to do once it
boils. Boils achieved at high altitude are considered "fast" boils.

When deep fat frying at high altitudes of 1,000-5,000 feet, lower the
recommended deep fat temperature by 5-10 degrees F. Above 5,000 feet lower
temperature by 10-15 degrees F. There are no adjustments for pan frying.

When canning at high altitudes there are specifics of processing time that
should be incorporated and generally are included in any canning receipe.
When in doubt, contact the agricultural extension community.

When baking at high altitude beat your eggs slowly, carefully; the higher the
altitude the quicker the eggs will incorporate and *overbeat*. Reduce your
shortening content by 1 to 2 tablespoons for any rich cake or cookie receipe.
*Do not use self rising flour* in any cake over 2500 feet; levening cannot be
reduced in these mixes because it is pre-included in the flour and thus the
cakes will "fall". Watch a yeast dough carefully; they will rise extremely
fast in high altitude and fall if left to rise too long. A third rising is
usually necessary for finely grained breads. Raise your oven temperature by
10-15 degrees F above the recommended oven setting in any receipe up to 2500
feet in altitude elevation. Above 2500-7500 feet 15-20 degrees  F should be
added to the receipe oven settings.

Candy Making at High Altitude-
Cooked candies are so easily and variously affected by high altitude cooking
that it is the recommendation of this publication not to use any receipe not
specifically designed for use in candy making at your higher altitude in
advance.

Hope this helps.

Lars

- --part1_38.13aeb898.27ea7e5b_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ff80c0"><FONT  COLOR="#800080" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Collage" LANG="0">In a message dated 3/21/01 12:56:54 PM US Mountain Standard Time,