SC - re: stollen

Claire Galibois galibois at lycos.com
Thu Mar 22 18:20:10 PST 2001

Hello all!

Since there seems to be some interest, I'm passing on the modifications for stollen by my servants Black and Decker. *g*

After looking over the recipes for our breadmaker, I realized I couldn't just divide all the ingredients from the stollen recipes (as was suggested).  So, I used the (modified) challah recipe for the breadmaker, with a few elements of the stollen.  It turned out rather well!

Jewish Challah

3/4 cup water
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp shortening
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour (2 2/3 cups American - the breadmaker cookbook says something about American flour having less gluten, but I'm not sure how that applies here...at any rate, if you're in the States use bread flour not all-purpose flour)
1 1/4 tsp yeast

Glaze
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp water

Use Dough/Pasta setting.

What I did:  Replaced water with milk, and used butter instead of shortening.  Also, added ~ 1 tbsp of homemade crababpple liqueur when the add-stuff beeper went (since the stollen recipe calls for rum or brandy)

To the stollen part:

Turn dough on to floured board.  Divide into 3 equal parts.  Pat out each piece into as long a rectangle as I could without it tearing, then flattened. (9 inches long?)  Brush each with melted butter.  Sprinkle lots of brown sugar over, and in spreading press into the dough (also helped me to spread the width).  Sprinkle ground cinnamon on top (recipe says to do the reverse...oops...).  I had a mix of stuff around the house, so one strip got glace mixed fruits, one got nuts, and one got a little of both.
Fold lengthwise and seal to make a tube of dough.
Braid.  (mine looked kind of pitiful, but I got a couple of braid-threes down)

At this point you're supposed to let rise for 30 minutes.  Oops.  I forgot.

Fortunately, the bread was really forgiving and rose in the oven. *g*  I baked it 40-45 minutes in a preheated oven.  Probably could have gone with a little less time.  Also, brush the loaf with melted butter first.  Makes a really nice finish.

Consensus was that the strand with fruits and nuts tasted the best.  Like all bread, the thing tasted best straight out of the oven - when the brown sugar syrup dripped out on tearing of the bread, and burnt our fingers!

Have fun with it!

:)

Genevieve

There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats.

Albert Schweitzer