SC - the menu was Bidding for Feast - Winner's comments

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Mar 27 13:21:59 PST 2001

Jenne Heise wrote:

> > The only thing that bothers me is that those sticking closely to the lenton
> > feast don't get a lump o'protein anywhere.  sure, I know that they don't
> > need it nutriionally at that meal--there are bean dishes and they can get
> > protein at another meal.  But could you slip a cheese or egg based dish into
> > course 1 or 3,
>
> Aren't both egg and cheese forbidden under medieval lenten restrictions?

No eggs. No cheese. No butter.

But the idea that there's no protein indicates to me that someone has
forgotten their knowledge of basic vegetarian foodstuffs, as well as
what folks ate in Lent.

What do we associate most with Lenten recipes? Almond milk. Fish. Eels.
Grains. And any vegetarian worth their tofu will tell you that the basic
period Lenten diet is quite balanced, thank you. There _is_ protein- you
just have to work a little harder for it. Almonds and other nuts have
quite a bit of protein. And they are ubiquitous. You cook your frumenty
in almond milk (which also compliments the protein in the wheat
berries), you put almond milk in your greens, in the barley, etc. You
serve your breads and your rice or beans and you have complimentary
proteins... it is work but can be done.

Adding egg or cheese could cause someone to unknowingly fall into sin-
and we wouldn't want that, would we? ;-)

Hmm. I haven't eaten breakfast yet...

'Lainie