SC - storing items between events

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Mar 27 22:26:04 PST 2001

Kiri commented:
> We actually do carry this sort of thing over from one feast to another.  We keep
> them with the rest of the baronial cooking and serving gear...in my basement
> (sigh!).  The only thing you have to be careful about is to be aware of how old
> the spices/herbs are.  Otherwise you wind up with seasonings that have lost
> their seasoning!

Well, from practical experience, that is not the only thing you need to
be concerned about. My barony managed to store several large containers
of honey in with a bunch of raw heads of garlic. Upon inspection several
months later, they decided they better toss it.

In hindsight, from some of the comments when I mentioned this here before,
I think the honey could have done quite well as an item for basting a
roast meat. However, it would have probably made a very poor mead. :-)

The barony decided at that point that we would no longer try to store
such items between events. However, if you keep this in consideration
you may be able to store things for a reasonable amount of time.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net