SC - Candied Ginger question

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 09:11:57 PST 2001

>The times we have done candied ginger it turned dark as well, a dark brown.
>Tasty however.  The commercial product I have bought is a lot whiter, don't
>know why.  Perhaps they use a different variety of ginger?  I used the
>recipe for candied angelica in Joy of Cooking, do you have a period one?
>
>Daniel Raoul
>
>Daniel

I am just using the same method I use for candied peel.  Peel the ginger,
slice it up boil (forever) in sugar water, drain, set to drying, toss
repeatedly in sugar.  I wonder if I soak the slices in fruit fresh first it
may make a difference.  Well, as you say, it may be browner but it is still
delicious.
Olwen