SC - Talking of pies... ?OOP (was Scallop pie (OOP?))

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 28 11:01:48 PST 2001

Oh, I've heard of Stargazy pie all right, I think I've heard of it in terms of
Wales and Cornwall, but if I tried to make it I'd be eating all alone.  The "ick"
factor is really high, but so is the authenticity.

We do a lot of "Shepherd's Pie" variants around my house, but generally call them
X-herd's pie where X equals the meat animal used.  Chick-herd's pie, etc.
Fish-herd's pie?  Yippie-ki-yi-yay, git along li'l escallop! ----==== <}

Another pie I like is one I got from the Scottish Women's Rural Society cookery
book called "Cornish Pie."  It's just one pound each chopped up mutton [or lamb],
apples and onions inside a two-crust pie.  I don't know how much lamb they're
getting in Cornwall these days :-( but it's very tasty pie.

No, Rick Steinman does not seem to be on USA television, we will have to write to
the Food Network and bug them to get us some new UK faces besides "The Naked
Chef" who frankly doesn't do a thing for me.  Maybe the show is unchallenging,
maybe he's too young or just not naked enough <g> I did expect better from the
producer of my beloved "Two Fat Ladies."

Selene