SC - Local meat prices - OOP

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Wed Mar 28 14:33:53 PST 2001

>Margarite & any others who may be interested.
>
>I checked with the OSU meat lab.  They will be butchering the Spring crop of
>lambs beginning April 20th, with processed meat available later that week.
They
>are happy to custom wrap your order. The fella I talked to told me he couldn't
>give me a total price, but estimates a cost of $2 per pound carcass weight.
So,
>if you buy a whole lamb, processed, it will weigh between 55 and 70 pounds for
>cost of $110 to $140 and receive 35 to 50 pounds of meat. Final cost per pound
>comes to $3.14.

The average suburban butcher in Australia will sell you a whole hoggett (and in
my opinion tastier than lamb...) for about A$45 for a 40 pound carcass.  After
some calculations that works out at US$0.58 per pound.  Lamb would be up around
US$0.75 per pound.  You guys should emigrate....

Drake.