SC - pickled fish with sour cream

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 29 04:47:52 PST 2001

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> That depends on what you mean by "cooked."  Cerviche is only marinated
> overnight while pickled fish is preserved in the pickling solution.  IIRC,
> long term immersion in vinegar coagulates the protein in the fish
> essentially "cooking" it.
>
> Bear
>
> > Bear answered my question about pickled fish in sour cream with:
> > > The fish is pickled in a diluted vinegar that has been boiled with
> > spices.
>         <clipped>
>
> > Thanks. Then this fish is never actually cooked and is like ceveiche
> > (sp?)?

It's my understanding that some pickled fish recipes call for the
vinegar to be added while still hot, and that while the fish remains
flexible (rather than flaky), it is cooked both in thermal as well as
protein coagulation aspects. On the other hand, it may be that, as with
wines not worth drinking not being used for cooking, cultures that take
their fish seriously would just as soon not eat fish which requires
cooking from a health standpoint, bacteria, parasites, etc.

Adamantius, who remembers with great pain having to tell the exec chef
about the little transparent worms living in the tuna five minutes
before service...
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com