SC - Food dyes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 30 09:55:29 PST 2001

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> What did folks use "in period" to color foods?
>
> I know there was:
>
> red - alkanet (it's usually used as a fiber dye)

I believe cochineal appears in late period sources.

> red-orange/red-brown - red saunders. It's also called "red
> sandalwood" but it isn't even related to real sandalwood and doesn't
> have that wonderful scent
>
> yellow - saffron
> (turmeric in Asia - but was turmeric in Europe in SCA period?)
>
> green - greens pressed to make a green liquid which also adds flavor,
> such are parsley and cilantro
>
> blue - certain berries

tournesole and perhaps indigo, but I'm not certain of the latter

> Any others that are actually documented in period?
>
> As far as other foods i know about that color foods, but don't know
> if they were used in period:
>
> black - squid ink, used in pasta, but i don't know if it is used for
> anything else...

Ink, I thought. Also various blood preparations are used to make foods black.

> pink - beets

"Pink is not period!!!" Sorry, I couldn't resist. People still make that noise...

> a range of browns, yellows, and oranges - yellow onion skins
>
> I'm not looking for things that we can use now, but what they
> actually used "back then".

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy