SC - Religious Holidays - OT

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 1 10:09:33 PST 2001

Don't blame me, I have good recommendations for Samhain recipes, mostly along
the "Feast of the Ancestors" line.  Make for your ancestors the stuff you
ancestors liked.  I make cheese blintzes, that being something my grandmother
and I did together.  More generally, gingerbread-type funeral breads is what
you're looking for.  There's a Yorkshire expression when you want to say that
someone is deathly ill, "it looks like a case of currants cake and slow
walking."  The same food traditions were kept for the Christianized versions of
the same celebrations of All Hallow's Eve, etc.

Meanwhile, back at the current season... Lenten recipes appear all through the
usual sources.  When I plan a feast, I plan a vegetarian version which I call
"the penitants' menu."  That way, my local vegans can enjoy the feast and still
remain in the historical context.

Selene