SC - list newbie/Seasonal food.

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Fri Mar 2 10:49:04 PST 2001

> >How often, however, would Jews and Christians eat together in period?
> >Documentary evidence, anyone? I suspect it did happen, but very seldom...
> I have no idea - but we were talking about SCA feasts, and those who follow
> their personae more closely than most of us, sort of. Would a person with a
> Jewish persona want to eat a Lenten-type feast, because it follows the pattern
> of a purely Christian prototype?

Well, it depends on how seriously you take your re-creation.

After all, if Jews and Christians never ate together in period (which they
might not have, though I'm told the kosher laws are more strict now than
they were in period), then someone interested in accurately representing
their persona simply would not attend any feast, Lenten or not, unless it
was specifically Jewish/kosher.

In the case of a lot of the recipes I've seen, Lenten or fasting food
would probably be the only kind of food that Jews could eat all of the
meal of anyway- because of the laws about milk and meat.

However, the point is, assuming there were no pressing reason that you
could not eat what the goyim ate, could you afford to be offended that
they offered you what they were eating if it did not violate your
religious laws?

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Are you finished? If you're finished, you have to put down the spoon."