SC - OT: Is a propane stove safe indoors?

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Sun Mar 4 11:46:01 PST 2001

At 02:20 PM 3/4/01 -0500,rcmann4 at earthlink.net said something like:
>Sorry for the OT, but I figured that this list is most likely to have
>someone who knows.  Is it safe to use a Coleman propane-burning
>stove inside the house?  Seeing as we're about to have a blizzard
>hereabouts, and a power-outage is a possibility, I'd like to know if I
>can safely use my 2-burner Coleman stove.  I have been finding
>contradictory information on the web.  Some sites say it's safe,
>and others say it isn't.  I suspect the ones who say it isn't safe are
>just paranoid about lawsuits, but I'd like to be sure.  In the event
>that the lights go out, a cup of hot tea would be comforting, but it's
>not worth dying for.
>

>Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
>Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
>mka Robin Carroll-Mann
>now at a new address: rcmann4 at earthlink.net

I've given that question a Lot Of Thought. Then I look at my regular gas
stove, and ask myself "Just how is this gas stove different from my camping
stove?"

They both burn gas. My built in stove has no special vent to suck massive
quantities of nasties out of the air and out of the house (other than
the  fan over the stove).  So, on that basis, they are very simple. It's
not unusual to put a pot of soup or sauce (or whatever) on a very low flame
on the back of the stove and let it cook overnight. So, as long as you use
common sense, you should be okay.

There are even gizmos for venting your dryer into the house. I've used that
in the winter time for several winters as a way to not let those perfectly
good BTU's, that I'm paying an outrageous price for, go to waste.

I wouldn't advocate taping all the windows and doors shut though. You need
for SOME ventilation in the house, as eventually there could be a build up
of little grubby nasties in the air (IMO).

Regards,
Maggie MacD.