SC - Recipe: Rice

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 4 20:35:55 PST 2001

And it came to pass on 4 Mar 01, , that Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> rcmann4 at earthlink.net wrote:
> >  But in Valencia, it is made so curiously, that each grain is
> > separate, in this manner.
>
> This might be seen as further evidence that the most common form in
> which rice is cooked is as a thick porridgey dish, rather than as a
> pilaf. Then, of course, there's the German recipe for Rice from Greece
> (I think that's it) in which rice is mostly, but not completely cooked
> in liquid, then sort of sauteed to firm it up a bit. Another similar
> type of dish would be the Digby "Rice Boiled Dry".
>
> > The rice having been washed, and dried
> > in the sun in a very white napkin, they put it in a casserole, and
> > cast in the quantity of sweet oil that is needed: in which oil they fry
> > a some cloves of garlic, so that all the grains become coated,
> > turning them very well with the oil and the garlic, and cast in
> > spices, and saffron, and some beaten eggs, turning them by
> > stirring everything together; then they cast in water, and set the
> > casserole on the fire, and after it has finished absorbing the water,
> > they put in three or four whole heads of garlic, and carry it to
> > thicken in the oven, and when it has made a crust the color of gold,
> > they set it to stew[3] until it is the dinner hour; and each grain
> > comes out separately, and in whatever manner, this dish must be
> > served hot.
>
> Hmmm. further evidence for at least local existence of the early pilaf.
> Almost a garlic paella, actually, and very similar to some of the
> Persian rice dishes (i.e. the crust, etc.)
>
> > Notes:
> > [1] ginestada is a pudding-like dish made with rice flour, milk (or
> > almond milk), sugar, and spices.  It may contain nuts and dried
> > fruits.  There are a couple of ginestada recipes in the Florilegium.
>
> I think perhaps there may be a broader definition, at least under this
> name, or ones like it. I don't seem to be able to find the exact word
> (because, of course, I need it) and therefore my evidence is a little
> shaky, but it should be pretty well checkable. Isn't ginestada linked to
> words referring to the yellow broomflower plant, as in Plantagenet,

Yes, the name comes from ginestra, the Spanish word for the
broomflower plant, because ginestada is normally colored yellow
with saffron.  Though Nola has one recipe which he says may be
left white by omitting saffron.  (For those who were at the Pennsic
pot-luck, this is the dish I brought.)

> and as in jance, which is frequently thickened with eggs, sort of
> an unsweetened custard, then flavored with ginger, garlic, saffron,
> etc.

Well, the four ginestada recipes I know are all sweetened.  Two of
them are in Nola -- one of which calls for 2 ounces of rice flour and
1 ounce of sugar per dish.  Another is in Granado, and calls for 4
pounds of sugar and 14 oz. rice flour to a gallon and a half of
almond milk.  The fourth is in Scully's Neapolitan collection, and
calls for "enough sugar".

> I wonder if the fact that this ginestada is sieved might suggest it
> is to be used as a sauce for meats, as jance was. Yes, I realize
> this dish (the main one, anyway) doesn't call for eggs, and is not
> yellow, but perhaps it had evolved from a thick pale-colored sauce
> made like other French jances or English gaunceli for gees...

Could be.  Many of the pottage dishes are.  And the fact that it
seems to be sweet is no reason that they couldn't have used it as
a sauce for meat.  I should mention, though, that this particular
recipe is in a chapter entitled "Dishes of fish, and others for days in
Lent".

> Oh, one more question:
>
> > put in the almond
> > milk with fine sugar, many times, and cause it to finish cooking
>
> Could this fine sugar be sieved? This might tie in more with the
> expression "many times". Just a thort.

I think it means to add the almond milk bit by bit, so you keep the
rice moistened, but don't add too much liquid.

If someone would like to double-check me, the Spanish phrase is:
"y en aviendose embevido el agua pongase la leche de almendras
con azucar fino en muchas veces, y hagase acabar de cozer..."

> Adamantius

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann