SC - list newbie/Seasonal food.

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue Mar 6 09:09:51 PST 2001

> The definition of "work" is an elastic one. There are some sects that consider
> using electricity on the Sabbath to be a real no-no: you can't light a fire on
> the Sabbath, and electricity is like a fire, and therefore no electric lights,
> according to some of their rabbis.

And others allow you to use the lights, just not turn them on and off.
Apparently the institution of the shabbas goy, who takes care of various
functions of opening and closing the synagogue, is quite old, thought I
don't know if it's period. Someone told me that since certain things have
to be out of one's possession during Passover, there is a custom of
storing them in a shed and nominally selling them to the shabbas goy for
Passover, to be sold back at the end of the holiday.

Ob food content: At the end of Passover, how would a Jewish woman re-start
her leavened bread? Would she buy starter/beer barm from a goyim merchant,
or make up a new starter from scratch?

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Are you finished? If you're finished, you have to put down the spoon."