now really OT Re: SC - list newbie/Seasonal food.

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 7 06:34:15 PST 2001

Elaine Koogler wrote:

> It has been a number of years since I was a practising Episcopalian, but I seem
> to remember that they believe in consubstantiation.  However, I don't think they
> are a "members only" group.  I believe that the main desire is that the person
> particpating in the rite be sincere in their belief.  Under the circumstances, I
> doubt that anyone would criticize you for this act...as it was done without any
> intent of harm or any other negative connotation.
>
> As was stated in another message, next time, if you find yourself at the altar,
> just decline the wafer and wine.  Better yet, simply step aside and let the
> person behind you proceed past you to take Communion.

The core issue to the 'practical' theology of communion is that a
community of believers in a common Faith come together to celebrate
their Faith Tradition.  All who participate in that particular communion
practice are professing common beliefs.  Well, if one doesn't believe in
the transubstantiation on consubstantiation, then one doesn't really
share that thread of faith, and should chose to abstain.  Likewise, if
one does ascribe to these premises, then one should not partake of
communion of other traditions that do not.  For me, the beginning is
integrity of one's personal spiritual/religious beliefs and one's
practices and behaviors.   One makes choices based on one's beliefs and
the cannon/traditions of the denomination being visited. Agree or not.

FOOD CONTENT:  Most Christian modernly have offerings in the form of
money.  In medieval European cultures, I would suspect that food items
from less affluent families would have been more common than money.  For
those members of Catholic/Orthodox/Episcopal congregations:  think about
the hand-washing ritual after the collection . . . seem odd?  Methinks
it carries from the practices of bringing foodstuffs to the church for
offering.

niccolo difrancesco