SC - Languedoc/Cathar

Bethany Public Library betpulib at ptdprolog.net
Wed Mar 7 12:11:09 PST 2001

Hallo all.

I've recently become fascinated with the Cathar story, and am wondering if
anyone has any clue where to look for a resource on their food. It must have
been a fascinating food culture since the Cathars came from Asia Minor to
France by way of Germany and Italy, and then were tossed out in the early
13th century to settle near present day Bosnia. They were purportedly
vegetarian, with heavy ties to the Mohammedans and other faiths, leading me
to believe their food culture must have been a terrific culling of all the
many cultures they had contact with--Languedoc was a trouble spot since the
area stoutly refused to fall in with the feudal hierarchy of France. Thus
the Cathars and their local friends were targeted for the fate of heretics
begining around 1209. And yet as late as 1204 they were instrumental in the
crusades (4th? 5th?) and the assault of Constantinople, indicating that they
were mainstream and accepted up to and during those battles.

I've ordered some tertiary sources from Amazon, of course, but they aren't
here yet and  I was hoping someone else had done some research in this area.
Anyone?

Aoife