Inter-Library Loan ( wasRe: Fwd: RE: SC - Portuguese Cookbook)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 16:54:29 PST 2001

- --- rcmann4 at earthlink.net wrote:
> And it came to pass on 7 Mar 01, , that Stefan li
> Rous wrote:
>
> > OCLC??? RLIN??? Awk!!

OCLC = Ohio College Library Computer system [IIRC]
RLIN = Research Library Information Network

And, no, individuals don't have access to either of
these.  They are inter-library computer systems, which
help libraries identify names, titles, & editions and
saves time and money with cataloging them.  My library
pays approximately $80,000 per year on our RLIN use.

> 6. Be prepared to wait.  An ILL request may take
> several weeks to
> produce results.  Remember that your local librarian
> cannot make
> the book arrive any sooner.  Once he/she has sent in
> the request,
> it is out of his/her hands.

And sometimes the local librarian has to ask more than
one library to borrow said book.  Said book could
already be circulating, or lost, or on the reserve
shelf and not available for ILL.  Or some libraries
are very selective about the kinds of libraries they
loan out to.  I once had to wait 6 months for a book
on ILL because the librarian had to go through at
least 6 libraries before she found one who would loan
the book out.  Sometimes it just takes time.

Thank you Brighid for such a well written post.  I
couldn't have said it better.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.