SC - Re: stollen (OOP?)

Fri Mar 9 10:23:18 PST 2001

Since I don't use bread machines, I'm not quite sure.  I vaguely remember
that most automatic breadmakers want you to add the dry ingredients to the
liquor or vice versa.  What I would do is:

Stir a pinch of the sugar in the warm water and sprinkle the yeast on top.
Give it about 15 minutes to activate.  While yeast may not like you, this
should get the yeast to start growing.  You might also try adding the dry
active yeast to the flour and letting the liquor activate it later.  I
prefer dissolving the yeast, because I have had fewer failures that way.
Dissolve the salt and the teaspoon of sugar in the milk.
Cream the butter and the granulated sugar.  Mix in the eggs and brandy.

If you add the liquor to the dry ingredients:
Put the creamed butter and sugar into the bread machine and mix the 11 cups
of flour into it.
Add the dissolved yeast to the milk and mix it into the mixture in the bread
machine.

If you add the dry ingredients to the liquor:
Add the dissolved yeast to the milk mixture and put it in the bread machine.
Add about 5 cups of flour and start the mixing.
Add the creamed butter and sugar and mix.
Add the remaining flour and mix.

In either case, let the dough rise once, then turn out and prepare the
braided loaf.  The first rise may take some time, because you aren't going
through the step of making a batter starter.

The dough is heavy in fats so you may not get the rise to double, but if you
get a visible rise, the recipe usually works.

Bear

PS.  Margaret and I are back from a wonderous culinary vacation and having
been snowbound in Lexington.  More later.