SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #3020

John Page kdp at tiac.net
Sat Mar 10 07:12:57 PST 2001

Copies from the AIA new publications post:

Ancient Food Technology. By Robert I. Curtis. Cloth with dustjacket (xxx,
510 pp., 21,6 x 30 cm., 75 illus.) ISBN 90 04 09681 7
List price EUR 121.- / US$ 149.- / DGL 266.65
Price for subscribers to the series EUR 115.- / US$ 141.- / DGL 253.43
Technology and Change in History, 5. (Forthcoming from Brill).

Employing a wide variety of sources, this book discusses innovations in
food processing and preservation from the Palaeolithic period through the
late Roman Empire.

All through the ages, there has been the need to acquire and maintain a
consistent food supply leading to the invention of tools and new
technologies to process certain plant and animal foods into different and
more usable forms. This handbook presents the results of the most recent
investigations, identifies controversies, and points to areas needing
further work.

Robert I. Curtis, Ph.D. (1978) in Ancient History, University of Maryland,
is Professor of Classics at the University of Georgia. He has published on
Roman social and economic history, including Garum and
Salsamenta. Production and Commerce in Materia Medica (Brill, 1991).

A little early but probably useful

Eithne