SC - Moths

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Mon Mar 12 22:32:15 PST 2001

>>How about fresh heads of garlic?  Lavender, southernwood, and garlic
blossoms are a great moth repellant, and period, too, and are not toxic
like insecticide would be.
Christianna<<

Great--I have a good supply of garlic.  How often would you expect to
change them?  Think one peeled clove per shelf might do it?

I keep a bunch of large containers [oatmeal, rice, etc.]  on the kitchen
counter, but I guess I could make a decorative looking string of garlic
heads--and a pot of lavender, if I find one.  don't know what
southernwood is; probably not a lot of that in Pittsburgh.

Oh, just re-read the post.  Garlic blossoms only, or will the cloves
work?  Actually, I don't think there is enough space between counter and
overhead counter bottom for garlic plants--they are pretty tall, aren't
they?  Allium family?

Talitha,

>>I empathize; I just found some in my farina (threw it out yesterday,
when I
saw the first bug, and recently got rid of tons of stuff (the original
contaminant was a bag of couscous).>>

Oh, no, not my new couscous!  I'll bet that's where it came from--one of
the nice things I picked up around Christmas at the sort of corner store
that carries hand-labeled baggies of all sorts of stuff as well as
regularly packaged imports.  I didn't put that, or my red lentils, or my
wild rice in the freezer!  I'll have to pick up all sorts of baggies, and
check their bottoms for little holes.

I tried bay leaves 2-3 years ago when I had this problem before and
someone suggested it.  Didn't work for me then, but I'll try some more.

>>I'm pretty sure the beetles can chew through a  plastic bag, but the
moths can't.<<
Oh, yes, they can, Anahita!  Talitha is right--they even chew through
foil!

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com