SC - Smilingyy at aol.com: Co detectors/ tent heaters.

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Mon Mar 12 22:08:11 PST 2001

This is the reply I asked my son, who is a certified professional, to
write for our safety.

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com
- --------- Begin forwarded message ----------
From: Smilingyy at aol.com
To: allilyn at juno.com
Subject: Co detectors/ tent heaters.
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:10:59 EST

I recommend at least one CO detector in every home.  It should have a
digital
readout, and be positioned so the readout can be viewed easily.  Modern
CO
detectors are designed to go off at levels that can kill you.  A digital
readout can alert you to small problems, before they become big problems.

  There should be a CO Detector placed where it can wake you up if it
goes
off while you are sleeping.  There should also be one in any room with
gas
logs in the fireplace.  Gas logs are designed to produce high levels of
CO,
and the damper is manual.  (i.e., it is possible to light the logs with
the
vent closed.)

  Tent heaters are available with a UL listing.  Never use anything but
UL
listed tent heaters, and always read the directions carefully.  Camp cook

stoves and in home propane heaters should never be used in a tent.  Camp
cook
stove are designed to vent in the open air and should never be used
inside
anything.  Regular propane heaters are designed to burn in an area with
much
more oxygen than a tent can provide.  Lack of sufficient oxygen will
cause
any fire to produce CO.

Nevins Parkinson
Smiling Chimney Sweeps