SC - lack of proof of cannibalism OT OOP-ish (GROSS-OUT Warning...)

James Johnson halffdan at netscape.net
Wed Mar 14 00:01:47 PST 2001

> I'm a bit skeptical about this?  We could be seeing a very isolated incident or
> something else (such as the remains of a post-mortem on an amputated limb - the
> split leg bone - then thrown onto a midden).

Something to titilate the alumi association donors and the readership. "irrefutable"? Hah! Balderdash! A _single_ split femur among seven individuals and no mention of _cut_ marks? At the very least, cut marks would be present for nothing more complex than a ceremonial dismemberment, such as a Tibetian sky burial. This could have as easily have been the common pauper's grave (note the presence of dogs as well) with a victim of a fall or a stoning.

And the Romans were writing about a people they wanted to prove were immoral and barbaric. Their accounts of people beyond the frontier should be taken with a grain of salt.

Histori-culturally speaking, there are and never were any Celts. The cultural groups lumped together under the term 'Celt' lack sufficient common traits. Some traits between some areas, yes, but not comprehensive.

going back to my books, my sherry, and a morbid taste for bones