SC - Re: SC mashing favas (food mill styles)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 11:43:06 PST 2001

- --- LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Yes...er...well...'V' was the defining letter as
> opposed to 'P'. Sorry, I
> often confuse my vetches. :-) The point that I was
> trying to make was that
> New World beans seem to reduce to a smoother paste
> than Old World beans in my
> experience. :-)

I wonder if this is true simply because of the
differences in the varieties themselves, or if genetic
modification plays a significant role.  The US has a
tendency to alter most of its crops in order to make
them sweeter, larger, more disease resistant, etc.
It's possible that these genetic modifications could
have an effect on the "creaminess" of the bean, as
well.   I'm not certain that European countries fiddle
with their beans as much as we do...

Balthazar of Blackmoor
(fiddling with his beans even as we speak...)