SC - Anthropology book on cannibalism

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 23 10:57:54 PST 2001

I've found the book that examines cannibalism in anthropology. It was
NOT the title in my earlier message. It is:

The Man-Eating Myth: Anthropology & Anthropophagy
W. Arens
Oxford Paperbacks, Oxford University Press
1979
ISBN 0 19-502793-0

Back cover blurb says:
Belief in the existence of cannibalism just beyond the borders of
one's own culture is a time-honored, universally accepted notion. The
author of this provocative book has meticulously viewed the evidence
from all fields on the world's classic man eaters, from the 16th
century Aztecs to contemporary African and New Guinean cultures. He
comes to a conclusion certain to cause shock waves in anthropological
circles: despite the massive literature alluding to cannibalism, the
author finds that there is no satisfactory first-hand account of this
act as a socially approved custom in any part of the world.

Anahita