SC - Bidding for Feast

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Mar 25 09:49:16 PST 2001

hey all from Anne-Marie
on the bid process....
I have a bit of experience as an autocrate :) as well a tad of experience
as a feast head.

Each branch does things slightly differently, but here in Madrone it works
like this....

1. the autorate presents their bid to the barony, including who is doing
the feast, what kind of feast and how much the tickets should cost.

2. if the bid is accepted by the barony, the feast head is a
"subcontractor" to the autocrate. if they need to run over budget, its
between the head cook and the autocrate to decide what to do. If its just a
smidge over, the costs are easily absorbed by the event. If, however, the
costs are WAY over budget, the event is seen to "lose money".

3. The barony will absorb the costs, but it will reflect badly on the
autocrate (and the head cook) and they may not get another bid until they
can assure a bunch of cranky officers that they can bring it in under
budget next time.

There are some people that I will NOT use as a feast head at an event I
autocrate because they're notorious for underestimating the costs (by
hundreds of dollars), and it makes me look bad to have to report a loss on
an event.

It sounds as if your branch does the feast bids separately....(its GREAT
that you have enough people to have competing bids!!), but the basic
principles should be the same...

and of course, each branch does things differently!!! ask your
seneschale/baron/fearless leader what the policy is. If its not codified,
perhaps it should be?

- --AM