SC - Bidding for Feast

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Mar 25 15:31:23 PST 2001

- --part1_8d.43aab41.27efd9cb_boundary

In a message dated 3/24/2001 4:09:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
upsxdls_osu at ionet.net writes:

> What happens if you underbid the costs of the feast?

The group eats it, and we hope we get enough off-board people to pay for it.

> <<Does your group cover the cost of the non-paying feasters (you know Royalty
> and their entourage)? Or do you figure your budget on paying feasters, and
> try to feed everyone for that price?>>

We cover Royalty, but the entourage is expected to pay for themselves, except
for maybe the significant other/children of the Royalty .  I figure the
budget on paying feasters and buy for enough extra for the four or five
people at most that includes the Royalty.

> Do you plan to feed the servers and kitchen help for free, or do you
> charge? What about meals while you're cooking feast? Bring a sack lunch?

Servers and kitchen help pay full price if they expect to eat the feast.
Since we usually just have someone come up from each table to serve, we don't
have designated servers who would need to eat at a different time.  The head
cook pays site fee only, and those who are planning to spend all day in the
kitchen usually pay the off-board fee (site fee and lunch).  I usually figure
that a) the kitchen crew will be so sick of the food they won't want to eat
it, or b) they will scrounge enough to eat from the leftovers, which is what
I do myself when being head cook.

<<> How do you plan for price fluctuations in ingredient costs?

I don't plan ahead for it - just try and get the best price I can.  So far,
I've only come in over budget by a small amount on one occasion - I'm usually
slightly under.

> Are cleaning supplies part of the cost process, or is that handled by
> someone else?

No, cleaning supplies are part of the general budget, not the food budget.
It is my understanding from our exchequer that that is how it is reported on
the event report as well as the year-end reports.

> Is the feast expected to "make money" for the event?  (i.e. budget set at
> $5 per head, but charged $7.50 for feast)

Ours usually are not.  We charge what we expect to pay for the food per
person.

Brangwayna Morgan

- --part1_8d.43aab41.27efd9cb_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 3/24/2001 4:09:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
<BR>upsxdls_osu at ionet.net writes:
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">What happens if you underbid the costs of the feast?  Who pays the overage?</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>The group eats it, and we hope we get enough off-board people to pay for it.
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><<Does your group cover the cost of the non-paying feasters (you know Royalty
<BR>and their entourage)? Or do you figure your budget on paying feasters, and
<BR>try to feed everyone for that price?>></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>We cover Royalty, but the entourage is expected to pay for themselves, except
<BR>for maybe the significant other/children of the Royalty .  I figure the
<BR>budget on paying feasters and buy for enough extra for the four or five
<BR>people at most that includes the Royalty.
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
<BR>Do you plan to feed the servers and kitchen help for free, or do you
<BR>charge? What about meals while you're cooking feast? Bring a sack lunch?
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>Servers and kitchen help pay full price if they expect to eat the feast.
<BR>Since we usually just have someone come up from each table to serve, we don't
<BR>have designated servers who would need to eat at a different time.  The head
<BR>cook pays site fee only, and those who are planning to spend all day in the
<BR>kitchen usually pay the off-board fee (site fee and lunch).  I usually figure
<BR>that a) the kitchen crew will be so sick of the food they won't want to eat
<BR>it, or b) they will scrounge enough to eat from the leftovers, which is what
<BR>I do myself when being head cook.
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><<<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">How do you plan for price fluctuations in ingredient costs?
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>I don't plan ahead for it - just try and get the best price I can.  So far,
<BR>I've only come in over budget by a small amount on one occasion - I'm usually
<BR>slightly under.
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Are cleaning supplies part of the cost process, or is that handled by
<BR>someone else?
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>No, cleaning supplies are part of the general budget, not the food budget.
<BR>It is my understanding from our exchequer that that is how it is reported on
<BR>the event report as well as the year-end reports.
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Is the feast expected to "make money" for the event?  (i.e. budget set at
<BR>$5 per head, but charged $7.50 for feast)
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>Ours usually are not.  We charge what we expect to pay for the food per
<BR>person.
<BR>
<BR>Brangwayna Morgan
<BR>
<BR>
<BR></FONT></HTML>

- --part1_8d.43aab41.27efd9cb_boundary--