SC - Bidding for Feast

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Sun Mar 25 20:46:06 PST 2001

> I just submitted my first bid for a feast.  I wasn't chosen, and I was
> blown away by the menu that was submitted.  Especially the price.  Now,
> maybe I've been working from incorrect assumptions.  So, I'm asking how
> things are done in your area.
>
> What happens if you underbid the costs of the feast?  Who pays the
overage?

    I've generally gone under the assumption that minor overages will be
taken care of if it's an unforeseen circumstance, but stupidity on my part
comes out of my own stupid pockets. I've never gone over budget on a feast,
and generally try to come in at between 80 to 85 percent of budget. I'm not
trying for a massive profit, but it rankles me not to make SOMETHING on the
feast. Just an unrepentant capitalist, I guess . . .

> Does your group cover the cost of the non-paying feasters (you know
Royalty
> and their entourage)? Or do you figure your budget on paying feasters, and
> try to feed everyone for that price?

    Pointy hats eat free, everybody else pays. I have been known to start
throwing things (being careful to stick to blunt, soft objects, mind
you) upon discovering that a pointy hat's entourage has suddenly been added
to my guest total, and no record seems to exist regarding their having paid.
    I tend to overbuy, so a few extras don't usually make that much of a
problem. High Table can be a different story, specially if you're doing a
spiff du jour.

> Do you plan to feed the servers and kitchen help for free, or do you
> charge? What about meals while you're cooking feast? Bring a sack lunch?

    Kitchen and serving staff have grazing privileges, wandering moochers
run the risk of becoming an unscheduled course.
    I've found, BTW, that a blender full of strawberry daiquiris does
wonders for attracting volunteers. I keep a list o' tasks on 3 x 5 cards,
and when someone comes through looking to help, I give them a card and turn
them loose. When they're done, I give them a daiquiri, thank them, and send
them on their way. Within minutes, someone will ask them "Hey! Where'd you
get THAT?", and we get a new volunteer tout suite!

> How do you plan for price fluctuations in ingredient costs?

    Lock 'em in early! If you have access to a large freezer, buy ahead on
sales. Retail sales prices usually SMOKE wholesale prices. I remember
walking into a grocery store and seeing a sign advertising Salmon for
$1.99/lb. They had 60 lbs of frozen fillets (BIG 'uns!), and I cleaned 'em
out on the
spot. They were NOT happy, but you'll have that. Don't be afraid to ask for
rain checks if they don't have enough of what you want, either.
    Be flexible. Remember, nothing is written in stone, and the menu is
variable up until the minute the servers head out the door. YOU may know
that something got dropped, but THEY won't. The Salmon got added to the menu
simply on the basis of being there at that price.

> Are cleaning supplies part of the cost process, or is that handled by
> someone else?

    That comes out of the autocrat's budget. That means they just pick up a
few extras and pass them your way. Most of the time, the kitchen you're
using has their own supplies, and is covered by the site fees.

> Is the feast expected to "make money" for the event?  (i.e. budget set at
> $5 per head, but charged $7.50 for feast)

    Depends. I'm not out to gouge people, but I'll be damned if I'm not
going to generate at least SOMETHING for the Kingdom for all our efforts!
However, this can be carried to extremes. I've seen groups (notably a
certain Barony located in the center of our fair Kingdom . . .) that have an
unfortunate tendency to charge high and serve a Denny's blue plate special.
I know they've done it just to turn a fast buck, which irks me no end.