SC - Bidding for Feast

Mon Mar 26 06:29:56 PST 2001

> I found a recipe for stuffed sucking pig I'd like to redact.  I was
> thinking of replacing the whole pig with filetted pork tenderloin, as
> suckling pig is not necessarily readily available.

I was involved with a whole roast pig many years ago.  Sucking pig is
interesting, but the cost may be prohibitive.  The tenderloin idea is good.
Cooking them as a whole roast, then slicing them would probably be easier
than working with the filets.

> head table dish.  My question here is would one tenderloin
> per 8 person
> I was going on the cooked size of the
> tenderloin and
> figuring a 1 to 1 1/2 inch slice per person.

I usually plan on a 4 oz. serving for each dish.  When the ingredients are
inexpensive and the dish is popular, the serving may get a little larger (it
keeps the carnivores happy).  For a table of 8, 2 lbs.

Tenderloin is
> expensive, and
> I'd have to use less expensive ingredients for other courses.

Not necessarily.  About twice a year, the pig farms over-produce and the
price drops when they flood the market.  The price of tenderloin drops below
$2/lb (I've bought it as low as $1/lb).  You usually get a price drop on
beef twice a year when the local ranches send the steers to market.
Chicken, it's 4 times a year.  Frozen whiting and herring are available
through Walmart for $1 to $1.50 a pound.

For Protectorate, I was planning to use brisket or chuck, but had good
quality rump roast go on sale at $1.50/lb just after I picked up the
advance.  The chicken flood ended just before I was awarded the bid, so I
was had by rising chicken prices.  I used the savings to upgrade the dairy
ingredients and purchase cider.

 The vegetable broth for spinach/cheese in case
> there are
> some ovo-lacto vegetarians present.
>
> Liadan

Sounds reasonable.  When you get the menu layed out, send it along.  I'd
like to see it.

Bear