SC - Bidding for Feast

upsxdls_osu at ionet.net upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Mon Mar 26 06:50:45 PST 2001

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:29:56 -0600 you wrote:

> > I found a recipe for stuffed sucking pig I'd like to redact.  I was
> > thinking of replacing the whole pig with filetted pork tenderloin, as
> > suckling pig is not necessarily readily available.
>
> I was involved with a whole roast pig many years ago.  Sucking pig is
> interesting, but the cost may be prohibitive.  The tenderloin idea is good.
> Cooking them as a whole roast, then slicing them would probably be easier
> than working with the filets.
I was thinking having it spiral sliced lengthwise, so it will be a flat piece.
Then putting on the dressing and rolling it up like a jellyroll, tying and
baking.  The slices would then contain both meat and dressing.  I've seen this
done with flat cuts of beef and it is impressive.

> I usually plan on a 4 oz. serving for each dish.  When the ingredients are
> inexpensive and the dish is popular, the serving may get a little larger (it
> keeps the carnivores happy).  For a table of 8, 2 lbs.
This helps.  Let me know when you see tenderloin on sale.  I'd like to stock up
for myself, as well as have ingredients on hand for experimentation purposes.

> Bear

In a few months, probably June, I plan to set up a "run through" for my proposed
feast menu.  I'll be inviting you and Margarite up to take part.  Depending
on finances, I may have to ask for donations to cover ingredient costs.  I'll
post recipes as I work with them, then, I'll need some advice as to where they
"fit" in a feast.

Thanks for all your help.

Liadan