SC - Pork cuts

Diana L Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Tue Mar 27 03:46:16 PST 2001

At 08:56 PM 3/26/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Okay... once again I have to stress that what you are
>thinking of may well be a Pork "Loin", NOT the
>tenderloin!!!  I have this teeth-aching visual of a
>poor SCA cook opening up her tiny package of
>tenderloin, when what she really meant to tell the
>butcher was "I wan't X pounds of Pork Loin..."  The
>difference is HUGE HUGE HUGE!  Please don't ask the
>butcher to give you pork tenderloin, unless that is
>really what you want (which it sounds like it ain't).
>
>Balthazar of Blackmoor
>(who was sure some of the others on this list would
>have caught this by now...)

Actually, I was considering tenderloin - the skinny little piece of meat,
because I was going to have it "spiral sliced" lengthwise to make a flat
square piece of meat to fill and roll. I checked out the difference between
a tenderloin and a boneless loin roast last night at the store.  Since the
local Walmart supercenter now puts it's meat in plastic trays, I couldn't
look at the end of the loin roast to see if the same process would be
workable.  Depends on what the butcher wants to charge for the "spiral"
slicing.  There was a price difference too, $3.98 per pound for the
tenderloin vrs. $2.59 per pound for the loin. Today I'm going to call the
butcher and find out what he'd want for a boned, three-month-old pig.

Liadan