SC - pickled fish with sour cream

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 09:21:46 PST 2001

>Bear commented:
> > Ansteorrans will eat fish.  Many years ago, pickled fish is sour cream
>was a
> > staple of Northern Ansteorran feasts
>
>What is the method/recipe for making this pickled fish in sour cream?
>
>It sounds like it might be good, or at least worth a try. Is there any
>evidence for this being a period dish?
>
>--
>THLord  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

I used to make pickled herring as the herring run in the Potomac River.  I
just used the recipe from Joy of Cooking.  Several friends and I used to go
dip them out of the river and take them home and begin the process.  I used
to actually make rollmops which is the fish in the boned state.  Made
gallons and gallons twice a year.  At the end of each run we would throw a
big party at someone new's place.  It had to be someone new who didn't know
about the fish fight.  Pieces of pickled fish everywhere...cripes did we all
stink!

Olwen, they don't call me odd for nothin