SC - Mid-Lent 2001

RuddR at aol.com RuddR at aol.com
Wed Mar 28 12:51:21 PST 2001

- --part1_66.d5ca2cf.27f3a8c9_boundary

Greetings,

On Saturday, 24 March, I hosted at my home in Minneapolis my fifth-annual=20
Mid-Lenten Dinner.  There were seventeen at table, not counting the=20
babe-in-arms.  Having fallen ill the day before the dinner, I did not have=20
the energy to prepare two dishes I had been planning to make.  Had I done so=
,=20
I would have divided the service into two smaller courses.  Instead, having=20
recovered enough to host the event at all, I served one large course:

Perrey of Pesoun - Forme of Cury 71
Apple Muse - Harleian MS 279 (Austin p. 20)
Trout with Sauce Gingyuer- Ashmole MS 1439 (Ausitn p. 109)
Salmon in Galentine - Harleian MS 4016 (Austin p. 101)
Shrympes - Harleian MS 4016 (Austin p. 103)
Macerouns - Forme of Cury 95
Eggplant - MS B=FChler 19 (Neapolitan Recipe Collection 182)
Salat - Forme of Cury 78
Leche Frys in Lentoun - Forme of Cury 166

Selected redactions follow.

Rudd Rayfield

SAUCE GINGYUER
Ginger Sauce

Take white brede, stepe it wi(th) vynegre, and draw it .ij. or .iij. tymes=20
(th)ur(gh) a straynour; and thanne put (th)er-to poudre gingere, and serue=20
for(th)e.
Ashmole MS 1439

(Some sauces are easier to adapt than others.)

1 C wine vinegar
1/2 C white bread crumbs, very finely ground
2 tsp powdered ginger, or to taste

1.  In a bowl, combine vinegar, bread crumbs and ginger.  Stir well together=
=20
and allow to sit for about an hour.  Whisk the sauce well before serving.

Yields one cup of sauce.

PIKE IN GALENTYNE
Cinnamon Onion Sauce for Poached Fish

Take a pike and seth him ynowe in gode sauce; And (th)en couche him in a=20
vessell, that he may be y-caried yn, if (th)ou wilt//  And what tyme he is=20
colde, take brede, and stepe hit in wyne and vinegre, and cast there-to=20
canell, and drawe hit (th)orgh a streynour, And do hit in a potte, And caste=
=20
there-to pouder peper; And take smale oynons, and myce hem, And fry hem in=20
oyle, and cast there-to a few saundres, and lete boyle awhile; And cast all=20
this hote vppon `e pike, and carry him forth.
Harleian MS 4016

(The guest who prepared this dish chose to use salmon instead of pike, but a=
=20
similar sauce in the same MS is served with salmon.  I substitute saffron fo=
r=20
sandlewood.  (Alliteration unintentional.))=20

2 pounds pike or other fish
3/4 C dry wine
3/4 C wine vinegar
1/2 C white bread crumbs
1 medium onion
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp each black pepper and saffron
Butter for saut=E9ing

1.  Place the fish in a large frying pan.  In a saucepan, bring to a boil=20
enough water to cover the fish, and pour the boiling water over the fish. =20
Over low heat, simmer the fish for about ten minutes or until it is tender.=20=
=20
Remove the fish, and place it on a serving platter.

2.  In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine wine, vinegar and spices.  Brin=
g=20
to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring frequently, for about five=20
minutes.

3.  Mince the onion, and in a frying pan, over medium heat, melt butter and=20
saut=E9 the onions until they are translucent.   Stir the onions into the ot=
her=20
ingredients.

4.   Stir in the bread crumbs, and simmer, stirring frequently, for another=20
five minutes.  Serve with the fish.

Yields about one and a half cups of sauce.
Serves four to six.

LECHE FRYS IN LENTOUN
Fruit and Almond Milk Pie

Drawe a thik almaunde mylke wi(th) water.  Take dates and pyke hem clene wit=
h=20
apples and peeres, & mynce hem with prunes damysyns; take out `e stones out=20
of the prunes, & kerue the prunes a two.  Do therto raisouns coraunce, sugur=
,=20
flour of canel, hoole macys and clowes, gode powdours & salt; colour hem vp=20
with saundres.  Meng `ise with oile.  Make a coffyn as thou didest bifore &=20
do (th)is fars (th)erin, & bake it wel, and serue it forth.
Forme of Cury

(The name of this pie (literally "fried slices") is rather odd; nothing is=20
blatantly sliced in it, or fried.  Maybe the name is a corruption of "cold=20
slices", referring to how it is to be served.  For "good powder" I use ginge=
r=20
and cubeb.  I substitute melted butter for oil.)

Pastry dough for 1 nine-inch pie crust
1 pear, cored and cut up small
1 medium apple, cored and cut up small
1/2 C each dates and pitted prunes, cut in two, and currants
1 C unstrained almond milk=20
1 T melted butter
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp each mace, powdered ginger and powdered cubeb
6 whole cloves
Pinch salt

1.  Preheat oven to 450=B0.

2.  Line a pie pan with the pastry dough and fill it with the cut-up apple=20
and pear.  Put it in the oven and bake it for ten minutes to harden it. =20
Remove, and reduce heat to 350=B0.

3.  In a bowl, combine the apple and pear from the pie crust with all the=20
remaining ingredients except the almond milk and melted butter, and mix=20
thoroughly.

4.  Stir in the almond milk and melted butter, mixing thoroughly.  Spoon the=
=20
mixture into the pie crust.  Put it in the oven and bake for forty-five=20
minutes, or until a toothpick draws out clean.  Refrigerate before serving.

Serves six to eight. =20

- --part1_66.d5ca2cf.27f3a8c9_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2>Greetings,
<BR>
<BR>On Saturday, 24 March, I hosted at my home in Minneapolis my fifth-annua=
l=20
<BR>Mid-Lenten Dinner.  There were seventeen at table, not counting the=
=20
<BR>babe-in-arms.  Having fallen ill the day before the dinner, I did n=
ot have=20
<BR>the energy to prepare two dishes I had been planning to make.  Had=20=
I done so,=20
<BR>I would have divided the service into two smaller courses.  Instead=
, having=20
<BR>recovered enough to host the event at all, I served one large course:
<BR>
<BR>Perrey of Pesoun - Forme of Cury 71
<BR>Apple Muse - Harleian MS 279 (Austin p. 20)
<BR>Trout with Sauce Gingyuer- Ashmole MS 1439 (Ausitn p. 109)
<BR>Salmon in Galentine - Harleian MS 4016 (Austin p. 101)
<BR>Shrympes - Harleian MS 4016 (Austin p. 103)
<BR>Macerouns - Forme of Cury 95
<BR>Eggplant - MS B=FChler 19 (Neapolitan Recipe Collection 182)
<BR>Salat - Forme of Cury 78
<BR>Leche Frys in Lentoun - Forme of Cury 166
<BR>
<BR>Selected redactions follow.
<BR>
<BR>Rudd Rayfield
<BR>______________________________________________________________________
<BR>
<BR>SAUCE GINGYUER
<BR>Ginger Sauce
<BR>
<BR>Take white brede, stepe it wi(th) vynegre, and draw it .ij. or .iij. tym=
es=20
<BR>(th)ur(gh) a straynour; and thanne put (th)er-to poudre gingere, and ser=
ue=20
<BR>for(th)e.
<BR>Ashmole MS 1439
<BR>
<BR>(Some sauces are easier to adapt than others.)
<BR>
<BR>1 C wine vinegar
<BR>1/2 C white bread crumbs, very finely ground
<BR>2 tsp powdered ginger, or to taste
<BR>
<BR>1.  In a bowl, combine vinegar, bread crumbs and ginger.  Stir=
 well together=20
<BR>and allow to sit for about an hour.  Whisk the sauce well before se=
rving.
<BR>
<BR>Yields one cup of sauce.
<BR>
<BR>PIKE IN GALENTYNE
<BR>Cinnamon Onion Sauce for Poached Fish
<BR>
<BR>Take a pike and seth him ynowe in gode sauce; And (th)en couche him in a=
=20
<BR>vessell, that he may be y-caried yn, if (th)ou wilt//  And what tym=
e he is=20
<BR>colde, take brede, and stepe hit in wyne and vinegre, and cast there-to=20
<BR>canell, and drawe hit (th)orgh a streynour, And do hit in a potte, And c=
aste=20
<BR>there-to pouder peper; And take smale oynons, and myce hem, And fry hem=20=
in=20
<BR>oyle, and cast there-to a few saundres, and lete boyle awhile; And cast=20=
all=20
<BR>this hote vppon `e pike, and carry him forth.
<BR>Harleian MS 4016
<BR>
<BR>(The guest who prepared this dish chose to use salmon instead of pike, b=
ut a=20
<BR>similar sauce in the same MS is served with salmon.  I substitute s=
affron for=20
<BR>sandlewood.  (Alliteration unintentional.))=20
<BR>
<BR>2 pounds pike or other fish
<BR>3/4 C dry wine
<BR>3/4 C wine vinegar
<BR>1/2 C white bread crumbs
<BR>1 medium onion
<BR>1/4 tsp cinnamon
<BR>1/8 tsp each black pepper and saffron
<BR>Butter for saut=E9ing
<BR>
<BR>1.  Place the fish in a large frying pan.  In a saucepan, brin=
g to a boil=20
<BR>enough water to cover the fish, and pour the boiling water over the fish=
.
<BR>Over low heat, simmer the fish for about ten minutes or until it is tend=
er.
<BR>Remove the fish, and place it on a serving platter.
<BR>
<BR>2.  In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine wine, vinegar and spic=
es.  Bring=20
<BR>to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring frequently, for about five=20
<BR>minutes.
<BR>
<BR>3.  Mince the onion, and in a frying pan, over medium heat, melt bu=
tter and=20
<BR>saut=E9 the onions until they are translucent.   Stir the onio=
ns into the other=20
<BR>ingredients.
<BR>
<BR>4.   Stir in the bread crumbs, and simmer, stirring frequently=
, for another=20
<BR>five minutes.  Serve with the fish.
<BR>
<BR>Yields about one and a half cups of sauce.
<BR>Serves four to six.
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>LECHE FRYS IN LENTOUN
<BR>Fruit and Almond Milk Pie
<BR>
<BR>Drawe a thik almaunde mylke wi(th) water.  Take dates and pyke hem=20=
clene with=20
<BR>apples and peeres, & mynce hem with prunes damysyns; take out `e sto=
nes out=20
<BR>of the prunes, & kerue the prunes a two.  Do therto raisouns co=
raunce, sugur,=20
<BR>flour of canel, hoole macys and clowes, gode powdours & salt; colour=
 hem vp=20
<BR>with saundres.  Meng `ise with oile.  Make a coffyn as thou di=
dest bifore &=20
<BR>do (th)is fars (th)erin, & bake it wel, and serue it forth.
<BR>Forme of Cury
<BR>
<BR>(The name of this pie (literally "fried slices") is rather odd; nothing=20=
is=20
<BR>blatantly sliced in it, or fried.  Maybe the name is a corruption o=
f "cold=20
<BR>slices", referring to how it is to be served.  For "good powder" I=20=
use ginger=20
<BR>and cubeb.  I substitute melted butter for oil.)
<BR>
<BR>Pastry dough for 1 nine-inch pie crust
<BR>1 pear, cored and cut up small
<BR>1 medium apple, cored and cut up small
<BR>1/2 C each dates and pitted prunes, cut in two, and currants
<BR>1 C unstrained almond milk=20
<BR>1 T melted butter
<BR>1 tsp sugar
<BR>1/4 tsp cinnamon
<BR>1/8 tsp each mace, powdered ginger and powdered cubeb
<BR>6 whole cloves
<BR>Pinch salt
<BR>
<BR>1.  Preheat oven to 450=B0.
<BR>
<BR>2.  Line a pie pan with the pastry dough and fill it with the cut-u=
p apple=20
<BR>and pear.  Put it in the oven and bake it for ten minutes to harden=
 it.
<BR>Remove, and reduce heat to 350=B0.
<BR>
<BR>3.  In a bowl, combine the apple and pear from the pie crust with a=
ll the=20
<BR>remaining ingredients except the almond milk and melted butter, and mix=20
<BR>thoroughly.
<BR>
<BR>4.  Stir in the almond milk and melted butter, mixing thoroughly. &=
nbsp;Spoon the=20
<BR>mixture into the pie crust.  Put it in the oven and bake for forty-=
five=20
<BR>minutes, or until a toothpick draws out clean.  Refrigerate before=20=
serving.
<BR>
<BR>Serves six to eight.
<BR></FONT></HTML>

- --part1_66.d5ca2cf.27f3a8c9_boundary--