SC - CANDYING FRUITS AND VEGETABLES

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Fri Mar 30 05:57:12 PST 2001

> In period, where they seem to have taken great pains to "use everything
> but the oink", you have these periods where the milk or eggs or meat
> may get wasted since they aren't on the allowed list. True sometimes
> they can be preserved, but I'm not sure how complete that was.

Actually, the intriguing thing about Lent is that, well, the odds are pretty good that
given medieval agricultural methods, milk, eggs, and meat would have been pretty scarce.
Some people find it offensive that the Church told people not to eat what they probably
wouldn't have eaten anyway, but that's philosophy not cooking. Generally, you've
butchered in the fall for the winter. Cows go dry. Egg production tapers off. So, during
Lent you don't butcher or hunt, so you don't have to worry about preserving the meat.
What little milk and eggs that are produced you can preserve. You eat a lot of greens
(just poking up out of the ground at that time), fish, and porridge.

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
"The worst thing I can say of a person is, 'they couldn't be bothered'."