SC - CANDYING FRUITS AND VEGETABLES

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Fri Mar 30 08:58:46 PST 2001

Stefan sweetie, I didn't take your message as a rebuke.  :-)
 My answer was just my way of being polite. (again I forget that things come
across differerntly in print than in person)

As to the Passover schtick.. What can I say?  We Jews have 2,000 years of
"mishagas"  (craziness) to overcome!  A lot of the rules come down to us
today via this idea of "keeping a fence around the Torah."  That is, to "go
the extra mile" to make absolutly SURE that a commandment in the Torah (Which
is seen as coming from God) is not broken.  As I say we have 2000 years of
craziness to get over.  I do think that things have gotten out of hand
regarding Passover.

Also, and this is my personal opinion, I cannot take too seriously a
religious SCAdian who is eating *at* feast.  If they are so very religious,
it is impossible to partake of the feast because while the fruits or
vegetables or vegetarian food might be considered kosher, the pots, pans and
utensils and the kitchen used to prepare the food is not...  so if a Jewish
person is so very observant, they are out of luck with the feast.

I always feel personally honored  and have great respect toward the cooks who
try to make something kosher and acceptable to the observant feasters, but I
always want to scream: "don't bust your buns over it!!"  Because it wouldn't
be technicaly kosher anyway... and if the person is soooo observant..... etc
(have a headache yet?  LOL)  Anyway, Vivat!  to the cooks!!!

Well, I hope I don't sound like I am standing on a soapbox, I don;t mean to.
May you have a wonderful Easter, spring solstice or however you practice!
Warmest regards,  Phillipa