SC - What would you do? or 2 months to freak out

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed May 2 10:05:53 PDT 2001

Micaylah replied to me with:
> > Umm. I'd hate to see a possibly rare, even one-time import of some
> > bananas used to justify the use of bananas as period. There appears
> > to be some real question as to whether that find actually dates from
> > within our period, at all. For more details, see this file in the
> > FOOD-FRUITS section of the Florilegium:
> > bananas-msg       (17K)  1/24/01    Period bananas. When and where
> > known.
>
> Havent seen any updates yet refuting it. I posted the find to our
> Kingdom list and that was technically the last I heard. Can someone
> refer me to actual documentation for me to post in regards to this so i
> can forward it?

I've not gone looking in any referance journals, but Bear (I think it
was he) posted a good message arguing against this being a real find
from period. That message is in the above file. That's why I mentioned
that file. It also gives some of the info on this banana find.

I think Bear's main point was that until the creation of faster
transportation (steamship?), bananas just didn't last long enough to
get from their point of origin to England in an edible condition.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net